Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Real Property Listing FAQ


  • How do I find out who owns a parcel of real estate?


  • What is the legal description for a property?


    • The legal description is a worded description of a property. The legal description on your tax bill is abbreviated and IS NOT a complete legal description.

    • The legal description for your property can be found on deed(s) and other recorded documents for your property. The most recent recorded document on file does not necessarily include the full legal description of your property. If you have bought or sold pieces of land over the years several documents and some interpretation may be required to construct an accurate legal description. You should contact a title company or registered land surveyor for professional assistance in writing an accurate, updated legal description.



  •   How can I get a survey of a property?


    • Not all properties in the County have a survey on file. If there is one, you can purchase a copy from our office either in person or online.

    • Search for and purchase surveys with the Survey Search Application (Please be advised that this application will take a minute to load due to the high volume of information)


    • If there is NOT a survey on file, you may want to contact a surveying company for further assistance.



  •  Where can I find out about any easements on a property?


    • Easements may be attached to any recorded document. Our office is not staffed to perform this type of search. Easements may be noted in your title policy or you may want to contact a professional title searcher to perform this type of search for you. A fee typically applies for this service.



  •  I need to update my Mailing Address.


    • You may call our office to have your mailing address for your tax bill updated or you can submit a request online. Click here for more information and to begin the process.



  • Where do I pay my Taxes?


    • 1st installment is paid to the local municipality (From December to the end of January)

    • 2nd installment is paid to the Racine County Treasurer. (February to November)


    • For City of Racine properties; contact the City of Racine Treasurer from December to July.



  • Why didn’t I receive a copy of my tax bill?


    • Tax bills are mailed to property owners in mid-December. If you have not received your bill you may print off a copy for free using our My Tax Bill online application. Or through the Ascent Land Records Suite under the Taxes drop down menu option.


    • For City of Racine properties; contact the City of Racine Treasurer from December to July.


    • You are still responsible to pay your property taxes in a timely manner, whether or not you have received your tax bill. (§74.09(6))



  • Who is responsible for the taxes when property has been split?


    • Real estate tax bills are sent out as the property existed on January 1st of the taxing year. An individual should discuss the payment of taxes with a Title Company representative or an Attorney prior to closing to determine how real estate taxes will be apportioned.



  • I have questions about Personal Property.


  • What is my Mill Rate?


    • Mile Rates do not come out until the end of the year after the State, County, City and Municipality budgets have been approved. Mill Rate in PDF format can be found here.



  • Where do I go to pay taxes, look at my balance, ask a question about delinquent taxes, or ask homestead exemption questions?


    • Please contact the Racine County Treasures office.


    • For City of Racine properties; contact the City of Racine Treasurer from December to July.


  • Other questions regarding Property Taxes?


    • Information about property taxes can be found on the Racine County Treasurer’s website. Click Here.



  •  Why does it say “DEED IN ERROR” on my tax bill?


    • “DEED IN ERROR” on a tax bill provides notification to the owner that some aspect of an original recording of a conveyance document is in error. The Land Description Office will contact the drafter that processed the document and notify them of the discrepancy. The problem is usually corrected at that level. It is advisable for an individual to contact either the Land Description Office or the Attorney or Title Company that processed the document about the error to determine the necessary steps needed to correct it.



  • How do I find recent property sales?


    • Check out our interactive Sales Comp Finder map application! This application helps citizens and real estate professionals search for and locate recent residential property sales and combine their sales search with key community and business demographic information. Access to this information facilitates better real estate decisions. The application displays sales that have been recorded in Racine County back 2 years. Results can be filtered by Sale Price, Commercial Type, Multiple Parcel Sale, or by Municipality.

    • Or through the Ascent Land Records Suite under the Sales History drop down menu option.



  • Where can I see current Sheriff foreclosure sales?


    • Check out our interactive Sheriff Foreclosure map application!  This application displays the current foreclosure auctions from the Sheriff's office. Sheriff's Sales are conducted every Tuesday at 1:30 PM in the lobby of the Law Enforcement Center, located at 717 Wisconsin Avenue, Racine, Wisconsin.  


  • Where can I see current Treasurer foreclosure sales?


    • Check out our interactive Treasurer Tax Foreclosures map application! This application displays the tax foreclosed properties available from the Racine County Treasurer’s Office.   If you are interested in purchasing any of these parcels of real estate, please contact the Racine County Treasurer's Office.  (262)636-3339 or via email:



  • Who is my Assessor?


    • Assessors vary for individual municipalities. To look up your municipality’s assessor contact information Click Here!



  • How do I find out the assessed value of a parcel of real estate?


  • Where do I find the assessment information for a property?


    • The land value, improvement value and total assessed value for a property can be found online on the Tax Inquire page

    • If you have other questions or concerns, you would need to contact your local assessor.



  • I have a question about a special assessment.


    • Contact your local Municipal Clerk.



  • I have a question about an assessment of a property or assessment appeal.


    • Contact your local assessor. If you have already spoke with the Assessor’s office and want to continue with the appeal process, please contact the Department of Revenue.



  • When is my Open Book / Board of Review?


    • Contact your local Municipality.

    • This information is available through the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. Click Here to be re-directed to the website.



Revised 11/2019